Welcome to my crazy world!

Hello and welcome!

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Another Before and After

This photo has NOTHING to do with this post, but I didn't want to show you my before/after desk until the big TADA later in the post...So on with the actual post:

I'm ashamed! I'm ashamed to tell you that the promise I made back in September HERE about painting a bunch of furniture and bringing it in before winter...I FAILED!  A big fat stinkin' F for me!

The furniture came in (unfinished) because I needed an empty garage for the CT commercial shoot last month.  So now my basement is crammed full of unfinished furniture!  Anyway, I did finally complete the desk for my daughters room!  It really is a lovely desk. I'll show you the before (new desk), before (her old desk)and the AFTER!!!

This desk had a really nice shape, and great sexy legs.  It needed refinishing or painting, and as it was rather a dark colour, I chose paint.  I would have painted in a nice sage/greenish grey but all the furniture in Z's room is white, and I wanted it to blend in.

Here is the before:



Isn't it nice?  Can't you just see the potential? It would look lovely in a little girls room!

Here is the before of her room (don't judge!):



Its my nieces old Ikea table, which was handed down to Z, and with that vintage chrome '50's childs chair, it did the trick.  However now that Z is almost ten, and quite tall for her age, she needs a big girl desk.


It looks yellow in the photo, but its Pure White ASCP.
  
Then we open it up, and:



Ok, the yellowy colour is really bothering me.  It must be the overhead light.  

Here is the side view:  Its lightly distressed, but I may sand the legs more.





You pull out the writing surface and voila! Ready for a little girl to do her homework! Aren't the cubbies perfect for a child! I didn't want to see crayon/ink/grunge on the white surface so I added a provence coloured shape, outlined in gold, and monogrammed with Z's initials.



After the light distressing, it was waxed in clear wax, but I added dark wax on the writing surface.  Z is thrilled with her new desk, as am I! 

So, thats three down and seven left from my original group of furniture needing love.  Onto the next project (after Christmas)!  Hope all is well, have a great day!

Sharing with these great blogs:


Photobucket









5 comments:

  1. I had that very same desk in our previous house, but I left it behind when we sold the house. It fit so perfectly in the spot it was in that it felt like part of the room.

    I do love it painted for a nice fresh look!

    We've got the same situation going on in our house. Furniture everywhere!

    p.s. Stop by later this evening to enter my Christmas giveaway if you get the chance. :@

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute desk. My daughter would love that desk, too. She's 8...and a tall one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you did to the desk! These are called spinet desk and I absolutely love the way they fold up to look like a table and everything is concealed! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this wonderful makeover at Simple & Sweet Fridays. Love how it turned out! Have a Happy Holiday Week!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the sweetest desk - lucky girl!!!
    I just love the " blotter " you created - perfect :)
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to make a comment, I LOVE hearing from you!